Sunday, November 14, 2010

Aunt Judy's Pecan Pie

I have been taking quite the blogging break. Actually I'm really just pathetic at blogging. It's just not something I'm good at keeping up to date. Anyway. I decided to share my latest interest. Pie. I want to bake the best pecan pie possible! This my friends...is not it. lol But it's a start.

I had big plans to spend my weekend making home made crust and then hand selecting the pecans and turning it all into an awesome masterpiece. Well the best laid plans usually don't happen. We ended up with company on Saturday then grocery shopping Saturday night, church Sunday morning and a trip to visit Brian's mom on Sunday afternoon. So my time was taken up by other things. I ended up grabbing a store bought pie crust and figured I could at least attempt the pie and worry about the 'homemade' crust later.

So here it is...

Aunt Judy's Pecan Pie
*Aunt Judy is Brian's aunt. She is a retired Home Economics Teacher! So she knows what she's doing. She gave me her recipe and some tips.

Recipe:
1 cup whole or chopped pecans
1 cup sugar
1 cup white Karo Syrup
3 eggs
1 T. melted butter
1 T. flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Beat together ingredients listed above minus the pecans.
Place your pie crust into your pie pan. I used the pre made crust so I  just rolled into a glass pie pan. I put a little flour on each side. (the package said to!) Then I poured my cup of pecans into the bottom of the crust. I spread them out so they covered the bottom of the pan. Then I poured the filling over the pecans. Waited a few minutes and the pecans had magically risen to the top of the filling.

Put it in the oven at 350 for about 45 minutes. I placed foil over the crust about 20 minutes into the baking time so it didn't burn.

**I used Wal Marts 'Great Value' light corn syrup only because the shelf was completely empty of Karo brand. I will use the good stuff next time. I've been told the brand of syrup makes a huge difference.

Here's a picture play by play. Well amost...I forgot to take a pic of the filling as I mixed it! oops
The Ingredients

At least it's 'Pillsbury' not 'Great Value'!

Added some flour to both sides.

Poured the filling over the pecans. See how they float up!

Baked. I covered it with foil 3/4 the way through so it didn't burn.

Finished product. Brian said 'It tastes just like Pecan Pie'. lol
This pic is out of whack and I can't get it to look right! ugh


No comments:

Post a Comment